Friday, December 2, 2011

The Real Deal Hot Cocoa

Its mid-afternoon, its December, I still have loads of work to do and I need a little pick me up. Sometimes I'll make a cup of tea, but as its nearing holiday time I thought today I would indulge a little. I have this simple, delicious and nearly guilt-free recipe for hot chocolate, courtesy of my yoga & ayurveda teacher. Its my go-to when I still have work to do but would rather be baking cookies. And eating them. And then taking a nap. With my cat.

The Real Deal Hot Cocoa

1 cup milk of choice (cow, rice, soy, almond)
3 heaping tbsp unsweetened baking cocoa powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
sweetener to taste (honey, agave, or real maple syrup)

Combine cocoa, milk and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk gently as the milk heats up, and just as it boils remove from heat. Have your mug ready with sweetener already in the bottom (I use 2 to 3 tbsp), pour the hot cocoa milk into the mug and stir. Sip slowly and enjoy! Sometimes I add a dash of cinnamon to make Mexican Hot Chocolate.

The unsweetened cocoa may taste fairly bitter at first, so feel free to add as much sweetener as you like! Overtime as you get used to the taste of the real cocoa, you'll probably find it just as enjoyable with less sweetener.


1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm. A pick me up indeed. Today is the day I go from work to school with a few hours to transition in between. After lunch, I started thinking about coming home to make this hot cocoa. So in no time at all, I had some cocoa a-brewin'! It smells so chocolatey and divine. But, you're right, it is bitter. I thought since I love dark chocolate, I'd only need a little sugar but I had to reconsider. I wondered, what would it be like if I added some delicious AE eggnogg? That sweetened it right up, and gave the cocoa a nice nutmeg-gy kick! Thanks for sharing Cara! Now, if only we could sit and share it together.

    ReplyDelete