Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Response to Cook Report Carrot Soup

Chris is out with his coworkers this evening so I'm cooking for one tonight. Your post from yesterday had me thinking of carrot ginger soup. I worked late today and just didn't have it in me to spend much time cooking, but I still needed a good, warm home cooked dish. So, here is what I did!

Quick & Easy Carrot Ginger Soup with Coconut

Combine in a small pot:

3 large carrots, roughly chopped (or 5 medium ones)
just enough water to cover carrots
1/2 tsp veg bouillon or half cube

Bring to a boil and simmer until carrots soften. 6-7 minutes.

Add:

a half can of coconut milk
1 inch roughly chopped ginger
spices to taste (I used cumin, coriander and turmeric)
salt & pepper

Blend it all together in the pot with the immersion blender and voila! A beautifully carroty orange and delicious soup. In about 10 minutes. Serves 2. Or just me if I'm really hungry.


About adding cream to soup: I do make a carrot and coriander soup which is just lots of carrots and broth with no cream, but for this one I find the coconut milk is just an awesome healthy food especially on these winter evenings. I don't really worry about the fat content, if I keep it in moderation. I put coconut milk in lots of things, and I actually think it makes my skin look better! More on that later :)

Allison, later this week I'm going to make that slow-cooker sweet potato and lentil soup you put on your weekly menu. Have you made it yet? Any tips?

1 comment:

  1. I had high hopes for that slow cooker dish. I made it yesterday and it fell short of my expectations. However, I did not follow the last bit of directions to the letter. Instead of mixing the garlic and spices in step 3, I just added it all to the slow cooker. I didn't have time to do it the way the recipe said. It wasn't awesome, but it wasn't terrible... it just wasn't as good as the picture made it look. Perhaps the coconut milk will whip this one up to par as well. I'll definitely remake carrot ginger soup with some coconut milk after my next grocery run. Thanks for the tips, my kitchen table friend. xo

    ReplyDelete