Sunday, December 4, 2011

Weekly Menu: The first week of December!

This week we have a good combination of new recipes and standard foods that I don't really need a recipe to make.  December means a lot more use of the oven.

vegetable bean soup (December Everyday Food) with spinach salad
slow cooker garlic chicken with cous cous (December Everyday Food)
broiled salmon and green beans
spaghetti and veggies (zucchini, corn and diced tomatoes) and pesto with spinach salad
fritatta: potatoes, spinach, tomatoes with black beans

Frittatas are one of my favorite go-to dishes when I need to round out a menu. Also good for using up any extra vegetables we might have around. They're simple, quick and as far as I'm concerned, anything can go in them.

I would love a suggestion from a reader (is anyone out there?) for something to jazz up the green beans side with the salmon...  while I love them with a little butter, black pepper and salt, but sometimes you just need to shake things up.  





5 comments:

  1. my favorite for green beans is lots of fresh rosemary. It's so simple, but adds a definite delicious kick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, i've never tried rosemary with green beans! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toss them with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet with frozen or fresh pearl onions. Throw on some rough chopped/smashed garlic cloves and roast at 450. This is great for asparagus, too. Onions are optional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig just made green beans last night and he started by melting butter and whisking in brown sugar in a pan until it reduced down and thickened up. Then he threw in the green beans and stirred in some balsamic vinegar and almonds. They were good. I almost always toast up some almonds and add them to my green beans just for the enhancement it gives them in texture, regardless of how I cook them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. almonds and rosemary... these all look great!

    ReplyDelete