Sunday, February 5, 2012

Staying Organized.

It snowed all day Saturday so I took some time to reorganize the spice cabinet.

BEFORE.


It's not easy to keep things organized in this cabinet because I use them all the time. I have three shelves and two spinners.  I try to keep the spinners alphabetized.  The first shelf is the most often used spices... salt, pepper, bay leaves, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, chili powder, etc.
The second shelf is less often used spices... cloves, fennel seeds, ground mustard, etc.
The top shelf is a mix of jars for items that came in bags or other odd containers and other less often used spices such as coriander seeds, star anise, a big refill size box of kosher salt, and black peppercorns. 

I  have so many spices, and like to be able to see everything, so I use the spinners, but they do take up a lot of space.  Someday Ryan may build some organizing gadget for me to keep the spices in... but for now this will have to do.  I just have to keep on top of the organization, which can be tough when things get crazy in the kitchen, or I have new spices to work into the mix. 

AFTER.



No comments:

Post a Comment