Thursday, March 8, 2012

Ginger Lemon Everything Day!

Last week at the grocery store, I went through the check out line with the biggest, most beautiful hunk of ginger root I could find in the bin. The cashier rang it up, then asked me, "what do you do with ginger?"

What's not to do with ginger! Its so magical. I'm remembering so many South Indian dishes I enjoyed over the past month in India, so many spiced with fresh ginger. Today for lunch I made one of my favorites from the trip, Lemon Rice, spiced with mustard seeds, turmeric and ginger. Its so quick and easy, and great for using up leftover rice. And its delicious. I used this recipe from the blog Zesty Palette. I omitted the chana and urad dal, and I didn't have any dried chilli peppers on hand. But still, so good!

This afternoon I used some ginger again to make Ginger Lemon Honey tea. This was another delicious treat for me while in India, and I've been enjoying making it at home.

the honey did not want to stay on the spoon!


Ginger Lemon Honey Tea
serves 2

2 1/2 cups water
2 inches fresh ginger root, sliced
half of a lemon
honey to taste

Boil the water with the sliced ginger for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the juice from the lemon. Strain into mugs and add honey to taste (be generous with the honey!)

So nice.

I missed you KTF.

xo Cara

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice cuppa tea! I have similar reactions from checkers at the grocery store. What are you going to do with this? Sometimes I oblige and tell them what I'm making this week.
    I also have the experience where the check out kid has to ask me what every vegetable is.

    ReplyDelete