Monday, April 30, 2012

Weekly Menu: April 29-May 5

Wow! I can't believe I'm planning a menu for the end of April/first week of May!
In planning this week's menu, I went to our binder of favorite recipes. We keep it organized by type of dish (vegetarian, soup, desert, etc.) and protect the recipes torn from magazines or printed from the internet in plastic sheet protectors.  





I'm not that great at keeping this updated as far as removing recipes we no longer consider favorites, or adding new favorites ones that have made it onto our table countless times (black bean and sweet potato burrito anyone?) but it's on my perpetual to-do list.  Regardless, this book is a great place to look when I just don't know what to make this week. It always inspires me.

This week's menu includes two dishes that are designed for leftovers. Things are getting hectic as the end of my semester at school draws near (two weeks!!) 

Ryan's Pick of the week:  Ryan's chili

Awesome veggie lasagna (I think this was adapted from the back of the Creamette pasta box-- regardless of origin, the recipe follows)

Real Simple ravioli with apples and walnuts

Veggie quinoa bowl: there was an array of produce on my grocery list... I will let you know what makes it into the bowl this week! 

Friday night:  We are planning on dinner out at Proof!

Also, I borrowed my mom's juicer... adventures to follow.


Awesome Veggie Lasagna

ingredients:

cheese mixture:
15 oz. ricotta
2 C shredded mozzarella
1/2 C shredded parmesan
1/2 lb. frozen spinach (this is what I believe makes this veggie lasagna go from great to awesome)
salt and pepper

veggies (I encourage you to mix, match and get creative with this mix!):
1/2 C green pepper, diced
1/2 C onion, diced
1/2 zucchini, sliced in small rounds
1/2-1 C frozen corn

1/2 box of whole wheat lasagna noodles
26 ounces of your favorite tomato sauce

thaw the spinach by placing in the fridge a few hours prior or for a few minutes in the microwave.
preheat oven to 375.
bring water to a boil for lasagna noodles, cook according to package directions.
meanwhile, assemble cheese mixture in a bowl and prep veggies. mix your vegetables in a separate bowl from the cheese and prepare for assembling the lasagna!
when noodles are done, in a 9x13 pan, spread a layer of sauce, then noodles, cheese and vegetables.  repeat until ingredients are gone!
cover with foil and bake for 30-50 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment