Tuesday, May 15, 2012

So I borrowed a juicer...


Sometimes I crave carrot, apple and ginger juice.  I got hooked on it when living in NYC where juice bars and carts were pretty easy to find.  I love how fresh and sweet carrot juice is and that extra kick of ginger makes it so refreshing.  What I don't love is the price.  It can cost around $5 for a 12 oz. juice from a fresh juice bar.  That gets to be a pretty expensive craving.  I can buy an entire BAG of carrots for less than that.  However, recently, my Mom asked if I wanted her juicer. Not ready to commit to the free juicer, I said I'd borrow it.  It's a cheap, small, easy to use juicer that works well enough for my carrot,apple and ginger juice cravings.  The only downside is that it can take a while to clean up. If you want to experiment with fresh juices but don't want to pay the high prices for either a top of the line juicer or fresh juice at your local juice bar, you might want to buy or borrow a cheaper model until you figure out what your needs are.

Here are some refreshing juices I made over the past couple of weeks.  So far I can't tear myself away from my carrot juice, but I did veer off the path a little.  I don't see myself investing in a fancy juicer anytime soon, so for now, the one I've got is working just fine.  I probably made juice about 3-4 times per week. 

yellow beet, ginger, carrot and apple

As you can see, all of this produce doesn't yield a lot of juice, but it's an easy way to get a serving or more of veggies since your body can absorb the vitamins from the fruits and vegetables right away. 


carrot, ginger, mango

apple, carrot, ginger and celery!


This was my main deviation from the carrot, apple ginger path.  I went green with cucumber, kiwi and granny smith apple.

this is the bright green fresh cucumber juice. it did not taste as good on its own as I imagined. next time I'll try a nice organic cucumber from my garden instead of the everyday supermarket cucumber.

I strained the juice because of the intense cucumber pulp

the kiwi made it really tart and sweet 

back to the classic but with pear


2 comments:

  1. We got a juicer for out wedding. We bust it out on occasion, but it's hard when you have a small kitchen and the clean up can be intensive. We love it though. The family I nannied for had one and they used it about every other morning. The mom would make fresh juice for mem the kids, and herself. She used kale, carrot, lemon, apple, and sometimes a variety of other veggies depending what she had. It was always a tasty, refreshing, and healthy treat. The last one we made was a berry juice that was quite tasty as well. You just can't beat fresh juice, bug ou can beat those expensive juice prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. :) If you have the time to clean up after you finish your fresh juice, it's totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete