Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Kitchen Thrifting

Ever since I was young, going to thrift stores, has been a frequent past-time.  My mom would take my sister and I along thrifting around Iowa.  She used to collect  lamps  and ashtrays and mid-century modern furniture, vintage clothes... some things I despised as a kid but would probably kill to have some of that stuff now!! When I got bored while she'd be scoping out lamps I'd would start looking for cool toys and later on clothes.  Thrifting is fun, like a treasure hunt where you never knew what you'd end up with. And recently, I've discovered, that often the old things you find in thrift shops or salvage shops are better quality than the new stuff you can buy at Target.  It's convenient to just go and pick out what you want when you want it.  But, there's something satisfying about finding an item, previously discarded, that's in good condition and still works.  Something made in the USA, that was built to last, unlike many products today that are so cheaply made they are almost replaceable/disposable. 

When Ryan and I started dating many years ago, we'd take trips to thrift stores around town to find clothes or old board games.  It's a weekend hobby we still enjoy.  I've found a lot of cool, fun and functional stuff for our home through thrifting.  I love looking for kitchen stuff.


Today I had a nice find.  A Sunbeam Mixmaster. 




My Grandma had (still has?) one and I remember helping her mix cookies with it.  It's got to be at least 20 years old, has a nice retro appearance yet still works!  I'm not big into baking, but for $7 and the 45 minutes I spent cleaning it, I know it will come in handy. 

I'm not big on kitchen gadgets that only perform one function, but I do have my fair share of useful kitchen appliances. (I love my food processor Ryan gave me for my birthday last year!) I always check the appliances section at Good Will for anything that looks interesting, or retro.  I am currently/still looking for a food dehydrator.  I don't need one, but think it would fun to have one, but am not totally sure I'd use it enough to justify spending hundreds of dollars on it. Don't get sucked in by the infomercial... check your local thrift shop.  If you  are ever thinking of getting a bread machine, I guarantee you can choose from a wide selection of at any Goodwill store in Des Moines.  Buy one for five dollars and try it out!

6 comments:

  1. Jealous! When I was a kid my mom had a mixer that looked just like that. Lots of chocolate chip cookie dough came out of that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is what I remember helping Grandma with when he was using hers!

      Delete
  2. Haha! u r jealous! my grandma used to have one.. now i have one!! But the part that sucks is i dont have the bowls :-(
    grandma has a kitchenaid now and she hates it! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Tom!! The bowls are key cause they have those special grooves! I hope you find some somewhere. :)

      Delete
  3. Thrift store shopping has and always will be the best way to get the things we need. The collectibles I used to find there are getting picked over, and I have found yard sales are the best place for those now. The memories we built together thrift shopping are priceless and I am happy that you continue the joy of the hunt. (remember all the striped polo shirts your sister Had To Have!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember. And I agree with you 100%! Do it for "The joy of the hunt!" :)

      Delete