Friday, August 17, 2012

Creamy Coconut Barley with Peaches and Cardamom

Yipes! Its been such a busy summer for me, photographing weddings and people and my cat, and going to the beach and having visitors and getting outdoors as much as I can!

I promise, I have been cooking, and enjoy the bounty of summer produce. But if I have a free minute I'm usually lingering over heirloom tomatoes with mozzarella on the deck, not blogging about it at my computer!

But here's a delicious breakfast I've been enjoying this week with fresh peaches. Its so good. Healthy and satisfying.

Creamy Coconut Breakfast Barley with Peaches and Cardamom
serves 2

1/2 cup pearled barley
2 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup of coconut milk
1 peach
2 teaspoons coconut oil
a pinch of cardamom
agave syrup to taste

Rinse the barley in a fine mesh sieve. Cook in a small pot with the water, lid slightly ajar for 25 minutes or until water is absorbed and barley is soft. 

While barley is cooking, heat the coconut oil over low heat in a small heavy-bottomed pan. Slice the peach and saute in the coconut oil with a pinch or two of cardamom, until edges being to slightly brown.

Combine the cooked barley with the coconut milk and enough water to make it blendable with your handstick blender (or in your regular blender - with lid slightly ajar to let steam out while blending!). Barley cereal should be nice and creamy when done, but not too runny.

Pour the barley into two bowls add splash of milk, top with sauteed peaches and a drizzle of agave syrup.









3 comments:

  1. Cara, this looks really, really good. I just found a basket of peaches on my porch from a neighbor so will have to try this breakfast soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You found a basket of peaches on your porch? Amazing!

      Delete
  2. I made this and am just finishing it right now. Yum... It's a very Cara breakfast and makes me long to be at your little kitchen table lingering over too much french press coffee and dreaming about what we could do with the whole day ahead of us. ps.s Ryan liked it too. :)

    ReplyDelete